Saturday, June 9, 2007

Tired, sleepy, hungry, and I have a headache.

That's four of the seven dwarfs right there, isn't it?

I was talking to my friend Paul tonight about all the juvenile fiction we read back in the days when we were actually juveniles (I'm a tiny bit older than him; I may still be juvenile in my heart), and I mentioned this series that I used to LOVE. I found them in my brother's room, so my mom picked them up for him originally, but they were awesome. I couldn't remember the names of them, but I did recall that the main character's name was Danny Dunn.

Anyway, came home and googled him, and it turns out this series (Danny Dunn and the Homework Machine, Danny Dunn and the Voice From Space) was written in the 50s and 60s... I just remember loving them! I may have to start collecting them for my niece and nephew (you know when I say, "for my niece and nephew," I really mean, for me, right?).

This has been a really long day... I woke up early in spite of wanting to sleep in, I was up at 8:30. Got up, paid some bills, cleaned a little in the kitchen (again: these daily reports are just fascinating for you guys, aren't they!), then my mom and sister stopped by to drop off my sister's laptop for Patrick to take a look at. I was a tiny bit ashamed at my messy house, but they didn't seem to mind, as my attempts to induce them to stay and help me clean failed. After that I had to be in Culver City for a four hour marathon rehearsal with the flute choir... we're totally getting ready for our big concert. After that? On to Santa Monica for the show, where my job gets easier each time. I knew it would. Well: I hoped.

So today's song of the day is the title song from Thom Yorke's album, "The Eraser." I've been listening to this album for awhile now, and I know I've featured other songs; this one being the first song on the album, I guess it's a little weird that I never really paid any attention to it until now, but the truth is, I tended to skip it to get to Atoms for Peace.

Anyway, today I listened to it while working in the kitchen, and these lyrics actually kinda made me sad. Which normally wouldn't really be a good reaction - but sad songs, to quote Elton John, say so much. No, really, actually I think what I like about it is, it reminds me of King Crimson, who I used to listen to all the time and now I can't find my copy of their CD (my favorite is "Discipline"). I have a bunch of stuff on my MP3 player but that thing has been MIA for awhile. Anyway, I think the song it puts me in mind of is Matte Kudesai. I really really like Adrian Belew's voice - I don't think Patrick sees the connection, and maybe there isn't one? - I'm not sure that Thom's musicianship matches Adrian's, but in my opinion they're definitely from the same planet.

The Eraser, by Thom Yorke

Please excuse me but I got to ask
Are you only being nice
Because you want something
My fairy tale arrow pierces
Be careful how you respond
'Cause you'd not end up in this song
I never gave you an encouragement
And it's doing me in
Doing me in
Doing me in
Doing me in
The more you try to erase me
The more, the more
The more that I appear
Oh the more, the more
The more you try the eraser
The more, the more
The more that you appear
You know the answer so why do you ask
I am only being nice
Because I want someone, something
You're like a kitten with a ball of yarn
And it's doing me in
Doing me in
Doing me in
Doing me in
The more you try to erase me
The more, the more
The more that I appear
Oh the more, the more
The more I try to erase you
The more, the more
The more that you appear
No, you're wrong, you're wrong
You're wrong, you're wrong
You're wrong, you're wrong
You're wrong

No comments:

Post a Comment