Thursday, June 21, 2007

Culver City Flute Choir: Concert Night


Well, it's over.Our twenty year anniversary concert was tonight. We had a huge audience, which was quite thrilling, actually. Big thanks to Paul and Patrick, and my mom and dad, and cousin Dominga for getting out tonight.

Now: I'm glad it's over.

Isn't that what I always say? It was hard work. I'm tired, now. And stuffed: I ate heartily.

Here's a picture: me and Julie, playing "Blue Bird;" Patrick took this photo with our little digital camera.

Here's one Paul took with his camera, which is way better: He was able to get the whole finale group in the shot. The reason some people aren't wearing concert black is because we brought in some of our audience (former members) to join us for a little mini-version of the Flute Convention's traditional group playing of Bach's Air from the Suite in D. There are usually a couple thousand flutists playing at the convention; this group of 13 or whatever it is is obviously much smaller, but the feeling was the same.

The big monster flute? That's the infamous double contrabass flute, played by my friend Roland. You have to hear that thing to believe it. The other big flute also belongs to Roland: it was a treat for us to hear both at the same time! That one is a contrabass flute; not as rare as the double contra, it's still really cool, and we're so lucky to have both of these giants in our group.

1 comment:

  1. I thought we sounded particularly lovely on the Bach. Go figure. Like that photo of us playing pic.

    And on another post, sorry you missed the tickets to Live Earth. If you can figure out how to get there, I told Gregg that you'd pay him to be his binder minder. He's only going for 3 days but hey, he'll be there to see the beloved Police. Can't wait to see that blog post after tomorrow. Have a great time. Take pictures. Tell me if you cry.gh

    ReplyDelete