Friday, June 8, 2007

Introducing... Twinkling David E. Frank!


Click on the title of today's post for yet another good review for "Rhinoceros"!

That David Frank! I always knew he could twinkle! Even back in the Rizzoli days: he was a-twinkle.

Photo of twinkle-y David Frank, lovely Mariko Oka, and twinkle-y Justin Davanzo by Paul Rubenstein; stolen from City Garage with no guilt whatsoever on my part. My heart is pure, people.

Well, mostly.

...

In other news:

Culver City Does Not Like the "William Tell Overture"

Oh! Last night I got to hear the tape of my recital. It wasn't bad; in fact, I did a pretty darn good job on that huge piece. A few things I need to think about - primarily, learning the music way sooner and walking around in it for awhile... wearing it in like a new pair of jeans. I just wait too damn long and it's killing me. Also? I realized that I need a back story... Patty suggested that I just use individual words or phrases when I feel like doing something different with specific sections, but that just doesn't work for me. I have to feel something and be emotionally connected to the music; I can't do it just with the sound of the thing alone. I gotta think of a story. Maybe that sounds stupid? Anyway, I just couldn't do it this time. It was hard enough learning the notes and rhythms (some of which I have yet to "learn" - like I said, my pianist covered a LOT!) in the limited time I had... add to that a semi-detailed story, and that's a lot of work I just didn't have time for.

Also last night, in flute choir, we were rehearsing my FAVORITE piece, the William Tell Overture (that's the Lone Ranger theme song to some of you)... right in the middle of it, things went a little wacky in the parking lot outside our classroom. We heard two loud distinct but vague noises - and were all a bit startled. No idea what was going on out there, but it was definitely a little nervous-making. The security guard was called and everything! Most likely it was just some big bad bored children, but still. A bit distracting.

Anyway, all I can tell you is I hope we can push the tempo on that one, because it is so much fun when it goes a hundred miles an hour, and taking it fast helps balance out my incredibly loud high As. I just can't back off: they have sforzandi under them (I have no idea if I spelled that correctly) and there's a big build up - my piece of shit piccolo and my out-of-shape lips just can't hit them unless I really hit them. So? They come out way louder than anybody else. So if you heard me playing my slightly out of tune piccolo really loud last night (I didn't hear any dogs barking [or crying], and no alarms were sounded, so I guess it was OK), I apologize. Come to our concert! Hear the real thing!

Ear plugs will not be provided, so bring your own.

Update @ 11:32 p.m.

Tonight was my first real running of the show! I am SOOO glad it's over. There is no doubt in my mind that I will continue to be nervous each and every time I do it, but the first time always sucks the most. My heart was really beating heard at some points. It was good, and the show is excellent (see all three reviews, as previously linked to in prior posts...), my friends are wonderfully talented, and as a thank you gift, I was given a pair of lovely shoes by the director! She has excellent taste, and I'm quite pleased with myself. Photos to come as soon as Paul (Paul! You lazy ass! Email me my shoe photos!) gets them to me. Helloo? Paul...?

No comments:

Post a Comment