Sunday, June 10, 2007

Sunday Morning, Plus: iPhone

Finally I got to sleep in. 10:30 is not quite as late as I would've liked (after I got home from the theater last night I couldn't go right to sleep), but it's way better than waking up at 8:30, as I did yesterday, or 6, which I'll have to do again tomorrow.

It's funny, though, because here it is 11 now, and my street is so quiet. Patrick is sleeping still. I have the blinds up in the room I'm in so I can see outside, and there are other things I need to do (clean, laundry, take a shower, take a walk, lay out on the grass) before I have to be back in Santa Monica, but I'm not moving towards doing anything else. Just sitting here and thinking/writing seems like an OK thing for me to do right now. It is so quiet! Even the kid across the street isn't playing his usual horrible Sunday morning music (Abba, Kelly Clarkson, etc.). I hear: birds, and the sound of my own fingers on the keyboard.

My friend Bo has a couple of big birds: an African Gray named Mowgli who scares the hell out of me (I bird-sat, dog-sat and cat-sat for him once, and Mowgli came about this close to eating my entire arm. I did teach her to say, "Hi, Mowgli!" - that was my standard cheery greeting, hoping to disguise my fear with a happy voice. If I'd known she was going to repeat what I said when I wasn't there, I would've taught her something more interesting), and another bird that I think is a cockatoo. The cockatoo was given to him and has emotional problems... I wasn't a successful birdsitter. However, I'm not sure that I agree birds should be kept in cages anyway; Bo probably would agree with me, but he loves his birds, and is a good pet owner. He has a kind and open heart toward animals. In Long Beach we have wild parrots, they're pretty cool to see. In Culver City I seem to remember we had a lot of loud annoying crows.

...

I had no interest in purchasing an iPod... I have my Dell DJ and it works just fine for me; it's ugly and lacks all the shiny happy features of the iPod, but it holds all my music and is easy to use, and whatever, it's fine.

Last night I saw a commercial for the new Apple iPhone, and oh my god, I haven't felt the desire to possess something so strongly in a LONG time. It's beautiful! I think I'm in love.

Anyway, quiet time seems to be over. The dog next door has started barking, and Joe is now listening to Avril Lavigne. I think he's washing his car. Time for me to get up and take a shower and start doing all those things I've been putting off during the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment