Tuesday, March 17, 2009

From a NY Times Article about libraries:

“There’s a saying among librarians that libraries will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no libraries.”

Librarians are so pithy.

I think it's cool that more families are using the library. I'm sorry that it's because of a lousy economy, but at least there's one good thing. My favorite moments with my mom as a kid were spent at the library (she even taught me about sex at the library [not, sex at the library; I found out about that on my own], when she selected about 4 or 5 large books, sat me down at a table in the children's section, and went off to hide), which we'd visit weekly. We loaded up our paper grocery bags with anything and everything, signed out our books (I miss library cards; I used to love seeing my name in a book as proof I had read it) and headed home for a week of reading. I used to do the summer reading program and the contests (which I won one year, thank you very much) and we used to go see movies in the multi-purpose room (I loved it when they showed the doggie movies, or "The Cat From Outer Space"). I used to like to walk on the sidewalk along the fence and stare into the "Japanese Garden" and pretend there were little midget people living in the shrubbery, crossing back and forth over that cool arched bridge. When I got old enough to ride my bike by myself there, I remember sitting on the stairs on the side of the library that faces the La Ballona Creek and reading my books there before heading home. And when I got even older, I remember sitting on the loading dock in the parking lot with various boys, in various stages of kissing-not kissing.

I have fond library memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment