Sunday, March 1, 2009

Cheerleading Tower of Terror

When Patrick and I went to Disneyland in February, we got a pass to come back within 30 days to go to California Adventures. Our pass would've expired during the week I start tech with City Garage, and we'll be out of town next weekend... so we went today.

Man, it was hot today. California Adventures is getting a major overhaul, but still - they should've thought about the placement of shade trees and park benches a little more (also, I never need to hear "I Love LA," "California Girls," "Louie Louie," or "California Dreamin'," again. Surely the Disney people can afford to buy the rights to more California themed music? Give me a break, please). The place was totally packed. There was some kind of junior cheerleading competition going on, so the park was overrun with tiny girls with giant hair bows, perfect ponytails (every one a riot of fusili pasta-looking curls) and short skirts (note: these little girls were all each wearing more makeup than I have ever worn in my entire life. The amount of eyeliner alone was shocking!), some of them with incredible muscles (and acne).

I haven't been to California Adventures in a while, and neither of us has been on the creepy Tower of Terror ride, which we could see as we walked from our car to the park. It was the first thing we decided to go on (Patrick googled "Tower of Terror accidents" before we left but I made him quit). Though the place was really crowded with people, the line was pretty short; we waited about 25 minutes, the whole time behind the young ladies you see pictured above.

They were nice enough girls, I suppose: no "f" bombs or anything, they didn't push or seem interested in us at all, which was fine and to be expected. They did a little sotto voce cheering practice at one point, with the typical angular arm motions, but it was all sort of restrained and, somehow, polite. There was a short stare-down between them and a girl in a red cheerleading costume while we were in the line, but though that girl was on her own (possibly with her parents) and these girls were in a pack, the red cheerleader clearly had the upper hand, at least when it came to dirty looks.

Once we finally got to the front of the line of "Tower of Terror," and entered the library holding area, and the whole "Twilight Zone" connection was made (I had no idea), I realized that if there's one thing junior cheerleaders do well, it's scream, because scream they did. Luckily we got separated from them in the line and were with a totally different group of people when it was time to board the ride. At this point, I was getting nervous, because I knew nothing about the ride, and Patrick hadn't been on it either, so we were both clueless.

It was fun. Scary - the photo taken of us shows me holding Patrick's arm with my face partly pressed into his shoulder. Also, I think I was screaming. See? I was wrong: it's not just junior cheerleaders who are good at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment