Saturday, March 21, 2009

I Wanna Be Your Man

(Continuing with the Beatles song as post titles seems silly, but this one, if you go see "The School For Wives," is kind of appropriate.)

This has been a busy week! Thursday was my flute choir concert. It went well, though, we had a rough quarter this time around, I think. There were definitely some touch and go moments.

After the concert (oh! a woman came to the concert; she read about it in the Culver City News. She was very sweet and talked to all of us, including my parents. She told me after my mom and dad left that she asked them how old I was, as in, "And when does your daughter graduate?" And this, on no sleep, with my gray hair intact, or makeup! - more on the makeup part of that soon. Sure, she might've been blind... but I'll take it anyway), I got a call from my old friend from high school, Damon, who was on a short trip home and visiting his parents. I haven't seen him in maybe 18 years.

Man, he grew up well!

We met at the Tattle Tale Room in Culver City, which, I guess as kids growing up, we had an inordinate amount of curiosity about. It turned out to be not much more exciting than the Scarlet Lady. Still, fun to be in there for the first time, and getting to see Damon was awesome. I didn't get home until around 1 a.m., though, and on top of already being pretty tired, I'm glad I stuck to just the one gin and tonic.

Friday, I didn't sleep as late as I expected (I didn't sleep late today either, and I wonder what's up with that. I hoped to sleep today until at least 11, but I woke up at 8 and was just lying there, thinking the same thought, over and over again, until I realized I needed to get up), and I went to get my hair done. My stylist, Nina, worked her magic yet again (no hair cut this time, just color). Afterwards I went to Souplantation for a yummy, filling lunch, and then I set out to buy bread and cheese for the party after the show.

"The School For Wives" opened last night, and Patrick and I got to go as audience members. Charles did the lights and sound as he usually does on opening night. It was a lot of fun. I worried a little, but after hearing all the laughter and seeing the fun they seemed to be having on stage: it was a very good night.

...

So, after thinking about it for ages, I have finally decided to start wearing makeup. You know, when I was little, and maybe a little bit interested in girly things, my mom told me (and I think she told my sister this too) that I couldn't wear makeup until I was 16. Then when I hit 16, I didn't really care. Then when I got a little older, I never liked the way makeup felt on my skin, and I was afraid to mess it up or look slutty or something. Silly, that, but I felt that way for a long time (also, I have pretty sensitive skin). I wore a tiny amount for my senior portrait in high school and on my wedding day, and for the most part, that's about it.

Now that I'm older though, I think I'm finally ready. Last week I bought some Estee Lauder foundation after trying it at the store, but when I got home, I was having a really bad allergic reaction. I realized that it was probably the sunscreen they use (I am very sensitive to sunscreen), so I decided to take it back. On Tuesday before rehearsals, I went to Sephora in Santa Monica and bought my BareMinerals starter kit. I didn't have time to look at it until yesterday, so when I finally opened it up and attempted to watch the DVD it comes with only to find that the damn DVD didn't work for some reason, I was disappointed.

I'm a smart girl, however, so I figured it out on my own. I was a bit derisive of that stupid DVD, anyway: they included instructions in the box, and really, how hard could it be? I wore it to my hair appointment, and Nina told me that my skin looked "flawless" (I think these people who have been seeing my "good" skin might need glasses), and that it didn't look like I had makeup on at all. That was good to hear. Turns out she's a total makeup junkie, and we talked about that for the whole time she was applying my color. I learned some stuff from her.

I know this isn't exciting information today, but really, me wearing makeup is kind of news.

After my hair appointment, I had to reapply (Nina's recommendation, since she does such a good job scrubbing my scalp, she was worried she might've washed it off, especially at my hairline) a bit, but I couldn't tell. I only did it because she told me to! Patrick didn't think it looked heavy or obvious either, and he always tells the truth (sometimes, unfortunately).

After we got home from the theater, he took a look at the DVD and he couldn't get it to work either. He had the bright idea of burning a copy of it and trying to play it that way, and I don't know why he thought that would work, but it did. It's only a 30 minute DVD, and I found out that while I had done it pretty much right the first time without the benefit of the instructions, I missed one or two little tricks (mostly regarding the little detail brush they give you). I also missed the sales pitch for all the additional items ("beyond the basics") (this one looks particularly intriguing) you can purchase. Some of them look cool, but I think I'll start slowly. It seems to be great stuff , and I liked it. I felt comfortable and I didn't have any allergic reaction, and best of all, people told me I looked good. I did read some conflicting reviews online but I guess you get that with every product. I'll have to let you know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment