Saturday, March 28, 2009

Lazy Saturday morning (I'm all out of Beatles titles for the time being)

This was a busy week! I was out every night since Wednesday, usually until 11:30 or 12. Last night I didn't have to be at the theater, so instead, Patrick and I went down to the Jazz Bakery in Culver City to see Ron Carter and his trio (Mulgrew Miller, piano; Russell Malone, guitar). Boy am I glad we went.

Patrick loves jazz; I'm still learning. I like seeing live jazz, but we don't go very often. The last show we saw was McCoy Tyner, also at the Jazz Bakery, and I think that was about 3 or 4 years ago (and amazing). Patrick and I are kind of total opposites when it comes to going to live shows (any live shows): I love to watch the musicians while they play, but Patrick usually tips his head back and closes his eyes: he's all aural. I want everything: I want to see how they interact with each other, with their instruments, with the audience; their facial expressions: everything.

The most important thing I learned from watching (and I've never seen Ron Carter play before, so I have no idea if what I'm about to write is well-documented or commented on by real music writers before) is how, even though he's a bassist, Mr. Carter breathes with the music. Phrasing and breath control is so important as a woodwind player (and man, can I tell when I'm less practiced than I'd like: it's one of the first things - for me - to go; how I played as a smoker for all those years is a total mystery. Younger lungs, I guess), and I loved seeing him visibly take breaths as he played. He didn't do it that much or all the time, but it really made me breathe with him and feel, maybe, a little bit of what he felt, and understand that part of the music better.

The other thing about live shows, and it's kind of a downer, and that's the audience. While it can really be a great group activity, listening to and watching musicians, I totally get bummed out when people talk. Now, sure, it's a jazz concert, not the LA Phil at Walt Disney Hall. People are into it, and I get that. It's not a private show for my benefit, but then again, it's not a private show for their benefit, either. I want to see and hear only the three amazingly talented gentleman on the stage. I don't want to hear some lady behind me raving about how she saw Pharaoh Sanders four years ago on that same stage while Ron, Mulgrew and Russell are playing right now (that Russell Malone's playing was hot. He was a lot of fun to watch and listen to). I don't want to hear some jackass calling out, "Play it for me good, play it for me good!" It's not your show, buddy. Shut up. I'm not good at blocking that stuff out, and I wish I didn't have to. Patrick overheard the man talking to his seatmate before the show started, and he mis-identified one of the portraits painted on the wall (I forget who he said the guy was, but Patrick told me in the car on the way home, "That guy didn't know shit!").

Anyway, we really had a good time. He's there again tonight, I think another two shows (8 p.m. and 10 p.m.), and if you're not going to see "The School For Wives" at City Garage Theater (and why not?), you might want to check it out.

Right now? Right now I am listening to the exciting sounds of Patrick setting up his drums in the garage, and actually - yes, that's what I thought I heard - playing them. He's got something lined up that I'm not going to talk about too much, but I'm really, really glad he's playing.

Today? Well, today I am going to lay around the house, which I'm very good at; read, which I'm also very good at; and listen to music. Maybe get a pedicure. Maybe drop off some dry cleaning. Later Bo is picking me up and we'll go to the theater. And now it's lunch time.

No comments:

Post a Comment