Thursday, March 19, 2009

Woke up, fell out of bed...

Wow.

Yesterday was a bear. Long day! During the work day, I made the mistake of taking a 15 minute nap in the car instead of my usual 15 minute walk, and when I woke up, I could feel how tired I was in my face. I have retained that feeling through today. The rehearsal went okay, though I was pretty tired (probably we all were). I made a couple of mistakes I've never made before: I let the first audio cue go after the music ended and the CD player jumped to the next (loud) track automatically. I got it shut off quickly but that was weird, and a little embarrassing. Then, we stopped during the run-through so the director could talk to the actors, and I was getting ready to reset the light cue when I hit a button on the board that I've never even noticed before. It says "on." It really should say, "off." All the lights went out and I panicked. Luckily Charles came up to check it out and while I think I would've had the presence of mind to do the same things he did if he hadn't been there, I'm glad he was there to deal with it. It made me think that I'm glad I've never done that during a show. It made me nervous that now that I've done it once, I might accidentally do it again. Anyway, except for those two things, I think I did an okay job. As usual, I wish I had one more chance to do the show before opening night, but it'll be okay.

I got home late again, thanks to the geniuses at CalTrans, who seemed intent on preventing me from taking any of the freeways I wanted to (the 405 on ramp from the 10 has been closed all week, and really, it's my own fault for not remembering this and going another way; but for them to close the Culver City on ramp to the 405 after my coulda-been-brilliant detour? Totally unfair). I was really tired driving home last night, and I'm grateful for the presence of Bo, who made me talk and laugh and once, even sing. He kept me awake and, more or less alert. I'm not grateful for the detours, which made me curse, but at least I didn't have to do it alone. Once I made it home, Patrick took me on a drive so we could go look at Air Force One, which is parked over at the LB airport.

It's just a big blue and white plane, but man. Exciting!

This morning I overslept by an hour. I don't even remember turning off the alarm, which I must've done, obviously. I just remember waking up from a weird dream in which I'd dyed my hair green (guilt over not wearing any green on St. Patrick's day, I guess), and looking at the clock, which said "6:21," except my brain saw "5:21." So for five minutes I stayed in bed, thinking about my dream (really? Green?) and thinking that I could safely stay in bed another five or ten minutes before I had to get up.

Then reality hit, I jumped out of bed, ran to the bathroom, where I brushed my teeth and washed my face and combed my hair (this is almost a Beatles song, with the addition of tooth care. Those lazy Beatles!), found some random clothes to wear (newsflash: the only un-wrinkled pants in my closet are pants I haven't been able to wear for months! Yay for me!), kissed my snoozing husband goodbye and jumped in the car. I was only 16 minutes late for work.

Of course, I haven't showered today, so I feel filthy, but that might just be psychological.

Now I'm sitting here, wondering if I have enough change in my purse to go get a Diet Coke, listening to my co-workers talk about their recent colonoscopies and bouts of diverticulitis. Lovely. Today I'm leaving work early so I can get home, hopefully take a nap, definitely take a shower, and maybe even warm up before I have to be in Culver City for a flute choir concert. Right now I'm just focusing on that nap. I hope it works out where I can take one.

No comments:

Post a Comment