Monday, July 13, 2009

A Missing Post about The Doll Hut from May

Way back in May, Patrick and I went out to see some bands, and I started this post and apparently forgot all about it. I just today found it in my drafts folder. Oops! It ends kind of abruptly while I was talking about our friend Dave Jones' band Carnage Asada. I can tell you right now that you have an opportunity to see Carnage this Wednesday, July 15, in Venice at The Air Conditioned. I don't think Patrick and I can go - he's got a band rehearsal of his own - but if you're interested (and you should be, they're awesome), I say check 'em out.

Live dangerously.

...

Last night [May 22] Patrick and I went to see his friends' band, Carnage Asada at a tiny little bar called The Doll Hut in Anaheim last night.

When I say tiny, I mean, I think my living room might be bigger than this space. And I have a small living room! What the Doll Hut lacks in space, it made up for in friendliness and volume - the band playing (we could hear them as we parked the car, and we were immediately interested) was Stab City [it's true: I think my ears rang for like a week]. They are three young guys, and they kicked ass - I wished we hadn't missed the beginning of their set. My eye, as usual, was drawn to the drummer, a skinny guy with straight shoulder-length black hair (all these guys look young; he's barely 27 years old) playing the fuck out of his drums. Smiles and happy punks all over.

After Stab City, The Stains (from East LA) played. Patrick told me that these guys were heavy duty early punks from the 80s and they put on a fun show, too.

Following them was Carnage Asada, and I so wish there'd been more people there to see them. Awesome noise, these guys. Not only do they sound wonderful, they look like they're having a great time. We definitely had a terrific time. I love seeing bands in friendly little places that aren't all hipstered out. I don't need to mingle with the beautiful people. If I can't hear myself (or my friends) talking, there better be a great band playing. This time, there were three great bands playing, and I got to drink a beer (Newcastle) for each one.

No comments:

Post a Comment