Saturday, July 11, 2009

Trying to get geared up. And a book review. UPDATE

The next two weeks are going to be busy, busy. Today is the cue to cue for The Chairs (opens at City Garage on July 24!), tomorrow is the workshop, Monday I start two weeks of evening tech rehearsals for The Chairs...

When am I going to get any bike riding done?

I did, however, possess the forethought to get up early this lovely Saturday morning and start doing laundry.

Yay for me.

...

Thursday I ran a bunch of errands (I found a spectacularly boring little black dress for tomorrow's performance, which was ridiculously marked down, at Macy's. I wonder if Calvin Klein knows what they're doing over there? Anyway, I'm sure I'll be trotting that dress out on other occasions, too, so I expect to get my money's worth), and one of them involved lunch at Souplantation. I didn't have any reading material in the car (shocking), so I made a quick stop at Borders. I didn't feel like looking too hard for something to read, so I picked up something that was near the front of the store: Julie & Julia. I'd heard about it, but then I saw that it was turned into a movie, so I was curious. The girl at the register seemed to be very excited about it, so I was pleased with my purchase.

Until I started reading.

(Disclaimer: I haven't actually finished the book yet. I have about half left.)

Reasons I was curious: this book is about Julie, a secretary who is bored and hormonal (and also mean, quasi-alcoholic, sexually frustrated, rife with drama queen-itis, and not a very good writer. There. I said it) and who has a history with Julia Childs' famous book, Mastering the Art of French Cooking. She turns that connection (thanks to her husband Eric's suggestion) into a blog. Blog becomes this book. Book becomes moving opening soon (?) starring Amy Adams and Meryl Streep.

AMY ADAMS.
MERYL STREEP.

Anyway, the point is, Julie decides to cook every recipe in the book, and does so in a kitchen that, as she describes it, I can only imagine makes my kitchen look like the birthing rooms at Cedars Sinai. In the process, she learns about, I don't know, life, love and bone marrow. I'm a little pissed off at Julie right now, to tell you the truth. She weaves into the stories about the cooking and herself (which I don't mind) descriptions of her horrid little friends and their lives and her comments about them make even me, a professed snoop and nosy person, groan.

Anyway. As a blogger without a theme, I think it's pretty darn cool that she got both a book deal and a movie out of it (and Amy Adams is a totally cool actress to play her), but unless things turn around soon, this book is going straight into the "donate" pile. I should've known better when I saw the reference to Bridget Jones in the reviews on the back cover.

Update:
Book finished. Yay for Julie Powell - she got what she wanted. Who wouldn't want a book deal plus movie? But I am still not a fan. I think she would not care and would go fix herself another gimlet. Or no, she would make Eric do it for her. Whatever.

No comments:

Post a Comment