Thursday, July 30, 2009

Left turns

I recently contacted a cycling website's answer guy with a question about left turns. Here's my question and his very informative answer. I've been trying to make a point, when I have to share the road with cars, of being totally alert, making eye contact (even waving) with drivers, and trying to anticipate hazards. It takes a lot of concentration.

Hi, Jack,

I recently started biking again after about 15 years off (I was strictly a commuter back then but now I'm more into having fun on my sporty new road bike), and I'm wondering about left turns. In the old days I'd get in the left lane and turn with the light right in the thick of things (no helmet, either: I was stupid/lucky)... but I'm older now, and have actually driven a car (which I hadn't back then!) and know how distracted drivers are these days. Is it safe? If I do it, where's the smartest spot to place myself in the lane? Squarely behind the car in front of me? What if I'm the first one there? Everybody has to wait for me?

Jack's answer:

Since we are classified as vehicles under most state and municipal laws, we're required to make a left turn just like a car would...using the left lane, signaling our intention, etc. It's much easier at intersections where there is a green left turn arrow, of course, but this applies at all intersections. Squarely behind the car in front is the typical place to locate yourself...but what I prefer is to hug the very inside (stripe side) of the lane a few paces behind the leading car. That way, oncoming motorists across the intersection have a better chance of seeing you and you're out of any blind spots. I don't bother with the 'traditional' hand signals -- I'm afraid that most motorists no longer know what those arm positions indicate. For left turns, I simply point my left arm and hand in the direction I'm going. No ambiguity there (I hope)! If you are first on the line to turn left, then yes -- everyone else waits for you. You have just as much right to be turning left as a car does, and if there is oncoming traffic that needs to clear the intersection before you can complete your turn, the cars behind you would be waiting anyway. Although it might "feel" like you're gumming up the works, you're not. Make your turn when it is clear and things will sort themselves out behind you. Of course, I strongly encourage anyone to familiarize themselves with the applicable vehicle laws in their area. We have a handy state-by-state law guide on our website on this page: http://www.bikecommuters.com/gas-saving-calculator/ Simply select which state you're interested in and viola!

No comments:

Post a Comment