Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Cue to cue, tech rehearsals, "The Chairs"

I started working on my 11th show at City Garage last week, and I usually write something in this space about that experience, so I thought I'd try to come up with something interesting this time.

Yep, what a concept. An attempt at being interesting means I'm not going to express disbelief at that huge number (11 shows! How can that be?) or re-tell what I did on each one, or talk about how darn tired I am or how late I've been getting home. Instead, I will shock and amaze you when I say that by now, having done the tech for 8 out of those 11 shows, and having suffered not a small amount of anxiety over my own performance in the booth, this time, I feel more comfortable, more knowledgeable, and kinda like I might know what the hell I'm doing.

I'm a slow learner, obviously. Where have you been?

As always, the director and her husband have made something amazing. I love the minimal set and just the way things look on that stage, the way that Charles lights stuff up. The way two of them work together is beautiful.

Because the tech side of things got off to a little later of a start than usual, I'm not quite getting the same amount of rehearsal time that I usually get. Surprisingly, it seems to be working out okay. But, not wanting to jinx anything by sounding too confident, I will only say that I'm having more fun at this point than I normally would be having, and I'm seeing more of the show than I normally would, because my head is not buried in my notes.

On the other hand, the booth gets incredibly hot. My fan sometimes obscures the voices of the actors, even with the monitor on, so I wind up hot and bothered and sweaty. But you know what? It's kind of worth it.

The show opens this Friday, July 24th. Call the theater for a reservation. And, as always, look for me in the booth - I love it when people wave at me when I'm up there.

The Chairs, by Eugene Ionesco
July 24 - September 13

City Garage
(310) 319-9939

No comments:

Post a Comment