Sunday, March 16, 2008

Robben Ford

Tonight, Patrick and I went to the Catalina Bar and Grill with our friends Philip and Kisha, and saw blues guitarist Robben Ford.

I had never heard of the guy until yesterday, but Patrick saw him around 20 years ago at UCLA, and Philip is a big fan. We listened to his latest album on the way to Hollywood, and I liked it, but wasn't quite sure.

We met up with Phil and Kisha, ate an okay but expensive dinner (fillet mignon for me - it was fine), and then at 7:30 Robben and his band took the stage.

I guess the thing I need to remember with me and blues and jazz is, it's the live experience every time. I know sometimes I'm disappointed when I see rock bands live (or watch their movies), but that's always music I know like the back of my hand. With the blues and jazz, I don't know anything well enough to have an opinion. Which, as you know, me without an opinion is like Thom Yorke without that squinty eye.

Anyway, Robben started playing (he kind of looks like Crispin Glover), his band was right there, and I was hooked. Great stuff, that guy. My favorite songs that he did were "Too Much," and another song at the end, for the encore, that I didn't catch the name of. He brought another bassist on stage (his bassist was amazing, but the new guy was damn good, too), his name was Roscoe Something, from Texas (I should know his last name...!). Anyway, the two of them chose to do a song the drummer didn't know, and I swear to god, it was amazing watching those three figure it out. I mean, you weren't nervous at all for them, they're professionals, but it was really exciting to see them work it out. Sounded great, too.

Now I'm going to bed. My boss is off tomorrow and that means I have time to do clean up and catch up, and I intend to take full advantage. Also, I'm planning on another trip to the kickboxing class, though I wasn't successful in my search for a sports bra. Well, I'll have to deal.

Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment