Saturday, March 1, 2008

Maps!

Tomorrow I'm meeting up with my friend Patty at various spots while she runs the marathon. It's exciting, I'm proud of her, and I look forward to it every year. I'm a little worried because as of Thursday she had a pretty bad cold, but as far as I know, we're still on.

However, I'm having trouble because the LA Marathon website decided this year not to post good maps. It was a stupid decision. See my email below.

...

sent: Sat. 3/1/2008 7:30 PM
to: 'raceinfo@lamarathon.com'

I’m very disappointed that you all didn’t post a map showing the mile markers this year. I always meet my friend at various prearranged points during her race, and used your maps that show the exact location of the mile markers. Not having this tool this year has been really frustrating. I contacted by telephone your office early in the day yesterday, and the young woman I spoke to offered to email one; unfortunately my day at work was too busy to follow up, and I didn’t receive the map.

And now, when I am attempting to download and print the (not very useful) maps at the LADOT website, I am having trouble. It’s not on my end, as I viewed these very same maps Thursday but didn’t print them then. I should’ve. This is all much more complicated than it needs to be.

Please don’t make this same mistake next year.

Irene

...

Update at 11:19 p.m.

I just found the map I needed at latimes.com. Duh. Still, why didn't the marathon people do this? Or link to the LA Times? Stupid.

Now I go to bed, because if Patty's on tomorrow - and I hope she is! - she'll be hitting mile 9 (our first meeting point) at 10:04, and if traffic is like it was in the past, we'll be parking far away and walking a bit ourselves. And we may be younger than she is but we are in no way as good of shape as she is. No way close.

No comments:

Post a Comment