Sunday, March 23, 2008

Things to think about

I am not sure why I thought anyone would be interested in the following. I sat down, I started typing, and this is what came out. Pretty dull, I know.

...

Yesterday I bought a $35 bike! It's not that big of a bargain (I'm not familiar with the brand but suspect it's a WalMart bike, though, no offense to the WalMart bikes of the world was intended by that statement) because I just saw one listed on some Craigslist type place for $50, but I got it from my neighbor (who lowered the price for me), the nicest neighbors in the world, to be exact. There was another part to that sentence but my head is distracted. I am listening to music via headphones and apparently I should only sit and look out the window while doing that. I thought I could multi-task today, but I guess not.

Anyway, this bike has a lot of things going for it, #1 being, it fits me (or I should say, I fit it). It's kind of a dark fuchsia color, which isn't one of the things it has going for it (because isn't fuchsia just a dark shade of pink? And pink and me, unless we're talking underwear, should never happen except on very rare and special occasions), but I'm willing to overlook the color. #2 thing going for it (that the bike has) is, it has a lot of gears, and the way they're laid out makes sense to me.

I've had 10-speed bikes forever, but for some reason have never really understood what the hell I was doing with the gears, and so I would guess at what gear I was in. It never made much of a difference because I didn't care what the name of the gear I was in was as long as I could make it up the hill or across the street without getting killed, but it does seem to be a good thing, knowing which gear you're in. And now I know.

Yesterday I went for a 1-hour ride on the bike path here in LB, which I love. It's so green and pretty. I saw ducks and pelicans! Tell me the last time you saw DUCKS and PELICANS along the La Ballona Creek. And I'm talking healthy, two-legged, clean, able-to-fly, ducks and pelican. Not those twisted X-files ducks and pelicans you people have up north in LA.

Also, ever since some gross Mexican dude grabbed me on the bike path in Culver City (near Sepulveda. This happened around 1989), I haven't felt safe enough to ride by myself up there.

There are few things that I have found to be better in Long Beach than in LA (though, those few things? Very important ones), and the bike path is definitely tops on the list.

Hey, so happy Easter. We're heading off to my brother-in-law's house to celebrate with the kids and his wife (I bought another silly lamb cake!), and my mother-in-law, so I gotta go get dressed. It's 89 degrees today in Long Beach. Seems a little excessive for March, but whatever.

Tomorrow morning I have to get up early to be downtown to take another test for another higher level job classification. If I do well, I can either sort of get promoted (my boss has another one of her grand plans) in place, or I can, you know, seek better offers elsewhere.

I may be choosing the second option there, but let's not count our chickens before they hatch.

Listening to: 2X4, by Blind Melon, off of "Soup"

No comments:

Post a Comment