Monday, March 31, 2008

Today's walk soundtrack: Blue Collar Man, by Styx

I took a short walk this afternoon. Unfortunately I didn't have my iPod with me, so the music consisted of me singing in my head (oh, and the slap of my thighs rubbing together). My memory of lyrics is pretty terrible, so for the most part, I was all, "Paradise! Can it be all that I heard it was?" Repeatedly. In my head - I didn't want to scare anybody. It doesn't exactly have the same lyrical immediacy as "Ride Like the Wind," but I think it does have a slightly faster pulse. Maybe I should research songs that really make me move faster.

It's a beautiful day. I have a week off this month, and I am so looking forward to it. Patrick is working, but I need the time off. Seriously: I need the time off. I'm thinking about the beach, and actually going there alone. It's possible to ride the bike path near my house all the way down there - I've done it twice, once with Patrick and once alone. I think it takes about an hour, or maybe two: I don't remember.

The other idea is, my sister-in-law has some kind of annual pass for the El Dorado Park Nature Center. I don't exactly know what that is, as I have just ridden on into the park every time I've been there and have never shown anybody a pass or anything. Then again, the only wildlife I've seen is squirrels and weird birds. Maybe there's a guided tour of all the unidentifiable wildlife (unidentifiable to me anyway) to be seen there? Anyway, I think she had in mind for us to take her kids, and that would be a lot of fun.

Another idea for that week off is to get out my 35 mm camera and see if I can remember how to go about taking actual photographs on actual film without resorting to doing it all based on the camera's brain and not my own. It's been awhile. I have two cameras, aside from the digital (all Canons, both on slightly permanent loan from my brother); the older one, which is simpler to use, is the one I learned on at a class I took with Drew at SMC a hundred years ago. I really liked that class (well, let's be specific: we took two classes. One where we shot film, and had to develop it ourselves - I sucked at that - and the other where we used slide film and had to show our work in class. I liked that one better). The other one is slightly less old, but has more complex features. Well, complex to me. And yet another idea is for me to sleep in, clean the house, do lots of laundry, and organize the closet in the spare room (aka "my office"). I've been putting it off for months. I used to keep it pretty neat, but last Christmas I was bad about putting away the rolls of gift wrap and other stuff like that. Also, every time I remove stuff from my car (CDs, books, etc.) I usually haul it into the house in some sort of canvas bag (I have a ton of canvas bags; I'm addicted to canvas bags) and just dump it into that closet.

Ah, this blog is now about my (lack of) housekeeping skills. Well, I could go with that, but I would prefer to spend my time eating some dinner.

...

Update added at 9:29 p.m.: I just spent about an hour in the garage with Patrick. He's got all this cool fancy equipment and he's been playing a lot of neat stuff. He let me play along with a very simple drum beat he had created (and these electronic drums sound amazing - totally real, and I can recognize that it's him playing), and I turned up a very silly melody that we realized halfway through sounded like a cheap-ass version of "Abacab." So, Phil, Mike and the other guy: I apologize. It sounded rotten but it was fun doing it.

I'm sure I've told this story before, but once, Patrick and I were in the car, in the drive through at the In 'n' Out Burger in Lakewood. It was a bright sunny day (no, I'm just kidding, I don't remember what kind of a fucking day it was), and "Misunderstanding" by Genesis (yes? We were speaking of Genesis, weren't we?) came on the radio. Patrick's not really a fan of Genesis; he prefers harder edged bands, or bands that really went for the whole prog rock thing full out - Genesis played with that stuff but it isn't his thing. Anyway, so we're sitting there in the drive through, we ordered our food already and now we're just inching forward in line, polluting the lovely tree-filled town of Lakewood with car exhaust, the windows down, and "Misunderstanding" cranked on the radio. I was clowning around - because that's what I do in the drive through - and all of a sudden Patrick goes, Hey! Those are my hi-hats!"

I was doubtful. What? How can you tell? don't all hi-hats (also known as "sock cymbals") sound the same? Well, duh, of course not. And somehow he knew that in 1980 (also the year "Ride Like the Wind" was released) Phil Collins was using some of the same kit he does.

How do boys (men) memorize all this shit? I don't know hardly anything from 1980 anymore, and I mean, not even personal stuff that actually happened to me (other than being chased by Pepe on my bike. Oh! In yesterday's story? I forgot one extremely important detail: not only did Pepe like to chase me on my bike, he liked to chase me on my bike while wielding a fishing pole, which, he said, was loaded with one Irene-sized hook on the end. So now does my terror seem justified? Also? Pepe once threw a full bottle of White-Out at me, and hit me smack dab in the forehead. Seriously, it's a miracle I survived elementary school).

No comments:

Post a Comment