Thursday, March 6, 2008

Today was my math test. I decided that one hour of math rock in the car before class would sufficiently take the place of one week of study, and - though I have no idea what my actual score on the test was yet - I think I was right. I was pretty much the first one done, though I did go back and check my work. Being first doesn't mean everything was correct, but I'm fairly confident I did well. I find out Monday.

Last night, when I could've been studying, I chose instead to download a bunch of music. My brother in law and his family gave me a shitload of iTunes gift cards (yay!), so I've started filling in my music. I've already put all the CDs we own on my iPod but there are a ton of empty jewel cases, and well, that just makes me sad. And acquisitive. Anyway, my friend was talking to me about how she's pretty much supplanted Rush (wow, math rock really does make you smarter) with Chicago, and while I can't go down that road with her (Chicago! What, are we 50?), I finally bought some Rush for the iPod. I thought about getting whole albums, but decided to start with The Spirit of Radio.

One funny thing: I used to own, on cassette, Exit Stage Left, and that has a live version of "The Trees" on it. It's the only way I've ever heard "The Trees," and I think it's gotta be the funniest damn song I've ever heard. Live, it's hysterical. Geddy Lee accomplishes some kind of crazy blend of screeching and squeaking - along with those absolutely god-awful lyrics, it's a wonder he wasn't just a wet spot on the floor once they finished. The Spirit of Radio has the actual studio version on it (I'm not even sure what album this song is from, I guess I should know that). The lyrics are the same (I think I've talked about this song before, it truly is one of my favorite songs to mock), the performance is the same, it's still a big ol' nutball of a song, but for some reason I like it. Can't explain it.

My other favorite song is Freewill - Alex's guitar solo is amazing. Again, the lyrics are nutty (who writes songs like this except Neil Peart? I mean seriously. Who did he think his fucking audience was?), but there is something happy and forward moving in the actual music - this is perfect music for driving.

Anyway, now I'm home to eat something before going to work. I'm gonna go listen to some King Crimson or Pink Floyd.

No comments:

Post a Comment