Thursday, May 15, 2008

And I think I could die here

I've had this song in my head all day, it's a Blind Melon song, and it's called "The Duke." The title of today's post (click on the title to hear a sample) is the line that I've had in my head, and the way dear old dead Shannon Hoon sings that line is very beautiful and - if "beautiful" and the word I'm about to say are allowed to be spoken in the same breath - catchy. I hear that song, as I did this morning on my way to work, and I spend the whole nine hours of work with that one line repeating off and on all day.

It's just a cool line and he sells it. I don't know if Blind Melon is considered to be kind of a jam band or if they're kind of not-cool anymore, but I don't really care. Me, and my rather uptight hippie chick persona - one that I've been cultivating so long that I think I may finally have it just about perfected - me and Blind Melon make sense.

Anyway, so I'm driving home, listening to music, and "The Duke" comes on. I think I've mentioned before that Thursday night drivers, for some reason, seem to conspire to keep me from getting home in a satisfactory amount of time (I can do the drive from Culver City to LB, in optimum conditions, in 28 minutes), either by driving 60 mph in the fast lane or by just being total idiots - I get a tiny bit impatient, especially when I leave later than I usually did, as I did tonight... and I will confess that my driving may have been a tad bit erratic for a moment there too (damn iPod) as I was getting on the freeway, but after we'd been driving for awhile, at about 65-70, somewhere around Redondo Beach Boulevard, Shannon hit me with "and I think I could die here" right about at the same time the car in front of me (a silver Honda Civic) - we were in the lane next to the carpool lane, I guess that's the fast lane, no? - slammed on their brakes, changed lanes (to the right), went behind me and then passed me again on the left, a move that made absolutely no sense, now that I'm writing it down.

Anyway, I just want to state for the record, that I don't particularly want to die anytime soon, and in my car, with or without Shannon Hoon providing the soundtrack (as lovely as it may be), is definitely not the way I want to go. If you consider the amount of time I spend in my car, though, it probably will be.

...

And, because there's really no way to link that story with what I am about to tell you, well, I'll just jump right in.

There's a big bulletin board in the rear lobby of my building at work. Our building has multiple entrances, so calling it a rear lobby might sound funny but it's accurate and fussing over what it's called has no purpose other than providing me with the opportunity to use the phrase "multiple entrances." So. In the rear lobby there is a large cork board, or maybe it's several large corkboards, now I don't remember. It's for the department to post stuff, announcements about things, union notices, etc.

The other day I noticed a postcard advertising the services of a clown.

Yes, you read that right.

But not just any clown: Coolaid the Clown. There wasn't much on the postcard other than photos of Coolaid applying his makeup, and a web address. Turns out Coolaid has an act called "Coolaid the Clown & His Buck Dancers," and what the hell that is, I have no idea. I can only guess.

Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment