Saturday, May 31, 2008

Bridal showers - Update

Tomorrow I am attending a bridal shower for a former co-worker. I'm not really looking forward to it, but that might be because I'm not fond of bridal showers in general. Even my own shower, while chock full of childhood friends and family and large expensive gifts, was a bit of a chore. There's not much about this one particularly that's offending me (other than it's distance from my home and the fact that I have to be in Santa Monica by 4:30 for the last performance of "The Mission..."), and in fact, I may have been a tad offensive to the bride already. Inadvertently, inadvertently. She and I have a way of unconsciously irritating each other.

See, she sent out her invitations (to the actual event, not the shower; another old co-worker is throwing the shower) via email. We did get hard copy invitations, but were instructed to RSVP by email. Not quite as gauche as an E-vite would've been, but hey, it's her big day, not mine. (My own tacky wedding invitations were handmade by me and my trusty embossing tool, and were printed on a crappy Desk Jet printer [it was 1998. Nobody had fancy printers then]. I used the font "French Script." They were simple, and printed on pretty cream colored cardstock. I believe I still have some left). Anyway, time was winding on, and I had yet to RSVP (the wedding is June 20), and she emailed me to see if Patrick and I were going, and to find out what type of meat we wanted to be served.

I apologized for not replying fast enough, and indicated that we would like "steak."

Steak was not one of the choices. "Chicken" or "beef" were the options. She was probably all, "Who the fuck does Irene think she is, requesting steak?" I'm sure it didn't go unnoticed. Should I have mentioned that I prefer nice, thick, juicy steaks? That I like my steak medium rare: more rare than medium, please? Maybe I should also have asked for the "good" bottle of Champagne, while I was at it. Would it have made it better (or worse) to request a private table? Candlelight for me and Patrick only? Our very own doggy bag of cake? Validated parking? Reimbursement for the outfit I'm going to have to buy (I have no wedding appropriate clothing, and never do, each time I attend a wedding. I'm not sure how that happens, but it does)? God, what a brat I am sometimes.

Anyway, what could I do but apologize? And of course I did, attempting to make a joke out of it. Unfortunately this particular former co-worker is very straight, very much enjoys being the one with all the cards, doesn't always subscribe to my sense of humor, and so, she didn't reply to my apology. Upsetting brides-to-be must be a specialty; I should add it to my resume.

Well, I'm sure whatever "beef" she's serving will be good enough for me and Patrick, people who subsist on pre-made Fresh & Easy microwave dinners and Trader Joe's Chicken Pot Pies. I'll keep you posted.

...

Update added at 10:30 p.m.

The shower was lovely. My friend - the one getting married - is so obviously happy that I can't help but be happy for her, too.

Also, the friends having the shower just happen to live up the street from Porto's Bakery, and since we got up there way early and I wanted to bring the hostesses a treat, and have always wanted to go to Porto's... we did. We got these amazing little cookies that were filled with dulce de leche or raspberry filling for the dessert table, and two sweet pieces of strawberry shortcake for the hostesses to tuck into once all the guests had gone home.

Tonight was also the final performance of "The Mission (Accomplished)" at City Garage... and as usual, I am conflicted about it being over. On the one hand... I get to be home with Patrick more. On the other hand, I'll miss all the carpooling (that's not a euphemism), and the show itself. The thing I have to remember about this type of situation is that just because something cool is over, doesn't mean more cool stuff won't happen again.

Yes. I struggle with the simplest things.

Now I gotta get to work on what I'm going to wear later this month to my friend's wedding.

No comments:

Post a Comment