Thursday, May 1, 2008

Your experiences = my dreams

Last night I had this crazy dream, and I woke up at 3 a.m. because of it. Then as I lay there thinking about what I had just dreamed, I realized that it was quite similar to a story my friend Andrea told me earlier that day.

She had a wisdom tooth pulled on Saturday, and afterwards, had developed some kind of weird bony growth in the space where the tooth was. On Tuesday, she returned to the dentist, who ripped out the bony growth (I believe the growth consisted of "bone," which is why I'm calling it "bony growth;" she told me it had some official name, her growth, but damn if I can remember what it was) and left her with a big hole in her mouth. No stitches. It all seemed kind of barbaric to me, but then, dentistry must be a dark art, no?

My dream was slightly different but kind of based on her story (which, to be honest, I doubt she believed that I was listening to her, because I was in the midst of Report Hell when she stopped by my desk. See? I do listen). It started out with me walking from one place to another in a group of people I haven't seen since high school; the "Beautiful People." These were the popular kids, all grown up. Do I have to spell that out? Don't my dreams usually involve people I don't know? And in the dream, though they rarely did in real life, they were speaking to me, and we were walking from one place to another, because the girls, in the dream, for some reason were afraid to go to their cars alone. So we're outside somewhere, and I'm surrounded by people.

Suddenly, a tooth breaks through the roof of my mouth - it's as if it's been shot out, but through the roof of my mouth, where, I don't have to tell you, no teeth grow! - and lands on the ground in front of us. As if my brain had created this tooth and was rejecting it, and the only way out was through my mouth (and thank God I wasn't dreaming about teeth ejecting from the top of my head, because that would send me straight to therapy). And then shards of bone and tooth are flying out from the hole, and I'm left standing there with this huge, gaping, bloody hole in the roof of my mouth. The people standing around me aren't shocked or grossed out, but instead they're all, "Hey, did you see that?" and "Are you OK?"

I woke up and I swear, the feeling in my mouth - it was like a missile! - was still there. I really felt that tooth and the hole it created in the dream. Thankfully the roof of my mouth was intact, though I did feel around with my tongue for quite a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment