Thursday, May 29, 2008

The Great Freeway Experiment

Tonight on my way to Culver City, I decided to try something new for a change:

Slowing down.

Usually I steam along, if traffic allows for it, at the fastest speed possible. Tonight traffic heading north was surprising light so blazing a trail at 80 or 85 would've been easier than you might think.

But because I recently paid $4.09 a gallon for gas, and because my neighbor's new Altima has been mocking me and my speed demon ways all week, I decided to take my friend Bo's advice and slow the fuck down.

So I set my cruise control at 60, set up my iPod to shuffle all songs, and tapped along to every song with my right foot (practicing my bass drum licks?) as I never can normally when driving. It wasn't s bad as I expected - I thought I'd have people swerving around me, swearing at me, tailgating me, shaking their fists - but I stayed in the right lanes, and it was just fine. I even got there in 30 minutes, which was kind of surprising, because there was the usual bottleneck thing going on at Manchester.

I did the same thing on the way home. The other bonus was I was much less stressed out than usual once I arrived at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment