Monday, May 4, 2009

From a Daily News story about jockey Joe Talamo, the guy who was supposed to ride "I Want Revenge" in the Kentucky Derby:

"Jockey Joe Talamo never got the chance to ride in the Derby aboard favored I Want Revenge, who was scratched yesterday, but he did ride in three other races, although he failed to win any. "I am not bad, but I am not good," the 19-year-old said afterward."

(Emphasis mine.)

Sometimes that's just the way it is, dude.

Updated: 10:08 p.m.

I also think it's very funny that Joe was to ride aboard I Want Revenge. Like it's a train. Or a ship. As if that horse doesn't possess one very large heart, a brain, and a will of it's own.

Someone mentioned on Saturday that horse racing is a cruel sport. I have no idea if that's true: I've been to Hollywood Park once, to the LA County Fair race track a couple of times, and I read Jane Smiley's novel "Horse Heaven" (and tried to recommend it to someone but was told that it was "too slow"). Oh, and I've read most of Dick Francis' novels, too. I am in no way knowledgable about horses or horse racing or its terminology. But it does seem to be a team effort and I wish the horse got a bit more credit.

No comments:

Post a Comment