Sunday, May 31, 2009

Sunday

Today I'm doing a bit of running around... I'll be performing at a recital later with Judy, Tim and Patty. We go on last, so hopefully the timing will be right - I need to get out of there by 4:30 to be in SM to run the last public performing of The School For Wives. And if we're running late, I'll hate to be worried about the time while I'm supposed to be thinking about playing. Patrick has nicely agreed to drive me so he will just drop me off in Santa Monica so I don't need to stress about parking.

In case you didn't catch it up there in the first paragraph... tonight is the last performance of The School For Wives (well, not really, but it's the last one you can see. We're videotaping tomorrow night but not selling tickets for that performance).

As always: bittersweet. Perhaps a little more so because while I have really liked every show I've been involved with at City Garage, this one was my favorite. And last night's show was, I thought, particularly fun, which makes it all the harder to think about it being over.

Last night I carpooled with Bo, and he drove for a change, which is always nice. On the way home, it was after 11 p.m., I had him drop me off a couple of blocks from the house. We did this last time he took me home, so I could walk the rest of the way. I've been doing a little bit of complaining about our neighborhood - how we live way the hell out in suburbia, far from my family and friends, how boring it is out here, how much I wish we could move back to LA, how I don't know anyone here - but one thing I really appreciate is how safe I feel, even at 11 o'clock at night, just strolling along in flip flops. One of the neighbors was having a little party (these are the good neighbors, across the street) and as I walked down my street, I heard them on the driveway, hanging out and laughing, and I sort of wish they'd seen me and invited me over for a beer (or, if it was Melissa's party, Melissa makes killer margaritas). But they didn't, and that's fine, too.

Today it's sort of gray, and though I stayed up late (Patrick went to see a band, and didn't get home until 1 p.m.; I can't sleep until he gets home, and I had eaten fairly late, after the show, with Bo, so I was pretty wired) I got up at 8:30 to do some laundry and hang out with Puma in the back yard. Then it got too cold, so I came in to write this - exciting, no? - and now I'm considering putting away my laundry, taking a shower, and warming up for the recital. Maybe I'll work on The Emperor and the Bird of Paradise a little.

Or maybe I'll just go back to bed and catch a little nap before it's time to get ready to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment