Friday, May 29, 2009

Friday I'm in love

I have been having the raddest Fridays lately. Also, I have used this Cure song as a title before.

My workdays have been long and hard and traffic has sucked more than usual and commuting way the hell into East LA has been aggravating at best but because I work a 10 hour day, I get every Friday off.

There's no question that this is a huge benefit.

So, what have I been doing that's so rad, you ask? (Didn't you? I thought I heard a question... you in the back? No?) For the past 3 weeks, I've been taking a spinning-type class at my gym (24 Hour Fitness calls it "24 Cycling" or something like that; maybe it's a copyright issue - also, I read somewhere that spinning classes sometimes use video screens and my class doesn't do that). It's hard! It's fun! I love it! Last week, actually, after the class, I had such a good time I wanted to do it again, right away (I didn't). Today I didn't have quite the same euphoric reaction but I did stand up.

Twice, in fact.

For about 2 seconds each time, with an instant case of burning thighs, yes, but I did it. So. Maybe incrementally if I add a few seconds each week, soon (2025) will be hitting it like all the other people in my class.

Last week I was on a bike next to this woman who was really nice and helpful to me with my bike. She was a yeller - she said "Woo-hoo!" and stuff like that. I liked her, she had a great attitude. Also she looks wonderful. If this is what spinning/cycling does for you, sign me up. This week, I didn't know anybody in the class (my sister-in-law is out of town this week, but she's been there the first two times I went), so when I got the bike next to that lady again, I was pretty happy about it, even though it wasn't in the back row, like I wanted. Anyway, before class, I introduced myself to her, and found out her name is Vivian (I love that name, it's just as old-fashioned as my own - wasn't it Julia Roberts' name in Pretty Woman?). I asked her some questions and she was helpful.

Anyway, today I walked on the treadmill for 25 minutes right before the class, and I think either it was too long or I should time it better so I have more than 5 minutes to rest, because I was really tired. I kept reminding myself how much I love the cycling class, especially when I thought I was gonna puke - and it's true: it is so much fun! - but I definitely struggled a bit more today.

Anyway, after that I came home and weighed myself (I am on Weight Watchers again... weighing myself is a lot easier thanks to the Wii), and I lost 2 pounds! Rad. What makes this particularly wonderful is while I was good about tracking my points, I went over my allotted points (significantly). So now I know that if I really work hard, I can lose.

I mean, that seems like an obvious statement, no?

I'm slow sometimes.

So imagine the leaps and bounds I can make if I exercise and eat right. God, it's so simple, you'd think more people would do it.

[Ha ha, Irene.]

Anyway, the other things I've been doing on Fridays are rehearsing with Patty, Tim and Judy for their upcoming flute recital (it's this Sunday!), and we did that again today. I was a little late, because I had a facial before with an old schoolmate, Anna.

We've known each other I guess since Middle School, but weren't close. Because of the proximity of our last names, though, we were often paired up or seated next to each other. We totally ran with different crowds (and I found out today that her crowd was definitely having more fun, and on a regular basis, than my own). I found out through Facebook that she's an esthetician and she contacted me about a facial and getting my eyebrows done. She did a great job, and it was conveniently located near Patty's house. The other thing that was really cool about seeing her after all these years is finding out how down-to-earth she is. We talked about the past mostly, and our lives, and how she sort of went through the same thing I've been thinking about (change!) and did all that herself a few years ago. I love meeting people who are unafraid to do what they want to do instead of sticking it out doing what's safe. She was inspiring.

I was only a little embarrassed by my obviously pimply face. Oh, well.
Looks great now, though.

After that, flute quartets, which went fine, but I found myself getting a huge headache during the last 20 minutes. On the drive home, I realized that I hadn't eaten anything since about 10:30, when I came home from the gym and scarfed a bowl of Special K (and left the milk out on the counter, as I discovered when I finally got home at 6), and traffic and being hungry was no help. So I treated myself to Souplantation, where I pigged out on all my favorite veggies, plus this yummy yam soup they have now (4 points per cup, good to know, would've been better to know beforehand). 18 points for my late lunch/early dinner, which really isn't bad, considering the amount of food I ate. Came home, kissed Patrick, and have been contemplating either vacuuming or watching TV. Maybe I'll do both.

Oh! And the COOLEST thing about today? Next Friday we'll be in Washington, D.C.!

Here's to the lovely start of what will hopefully be an even lovelier weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment