Friday, May 22, 2009

A full day, and Mary

I walked past this wall with these lovely purple flowers on my walk today. Pretty, no?

What a fun but busy day. Got up early for my second ever spinning class at the gym. I think I've found the thing I really like. Today I was between two ladies I didn't know. I remembered both of them from last week - one was this tall thin blond with her hair all piled up on top of her head and the other was a totally fit lady of indeterminate age (she could've been anywhere from 35 to 55). They were both incredible spinners and super-nice, and while I still am not standing up, I had a good time. It's not easy, even at my beginner pace, that class, and I was totally watching the clock during the last 15, 20 minutes (my butt was, and is, totally sore) but I still worked really hard and felt good about it afterward.

After the class I went home, played with my MP3s (Patrick had to reinstall everything last week and disinfect our computer due to a virus incident, and when he did that, and restored my iTunes folder, many things were somehow duplicated and/or added that shouldn't have been... and you know how I feel about having a neat iTunes folder) for awhile, hopped in the shower, and then walked up to Lakewood for lunch with Andrea, which was perfectly fun and filling as usual. Then I took the bus to my chiro appointment, and while I sat waiting for the bus, I made a new friend.

Her name is Mary. She lives in Naples. She's approximately 54 years old (she told me several deeply personal things during our conversation, and one was that she was married at 17 to a man from whom she is now divorced. She mentioned that she called him last week on what would've been her 27th wedding anniversary. See how good my math is?). She was, despite being really, really talkative, very sweet, and I actually enjoyed riding with her all the way down Bellflower Blvd. to my appointment. At one point, after she had told me about her ex-boyfriend (now best friend, with whom she lives), Oscar, and her fear of bees (she mentioned bees three or four times), how she grew up on Catalina Island, her son, and her daughter who looks like Brooke Shields and is now in the navy - she said to me, "I don't usually talk this much but I like talking to you! Tell me something!" But I just told her that I too had once been to France (she had just told me about her trip to France to visit her daughter), and kept listening.

Usually I am not this companionable with strangers, but I was in a very good mood today. I think it was all the exercise.

Now, imagine if I were thinner, what a great mood I'd be in then!

Later, Patrick and I are going to see the band Carnage Asada at the Doll Hut in Anaheim. The bass player, Dave Jones, was in Magnolia Thunderpussy (and was our real estate agent when we bought our house!), and one of the other members, Dave Travis, has also played with Patrick. Cool guys, great band, and I'll be excited to get out with Patrick to see them.

Now I think I might go read something and hang out for awhile. I'm looking forward to a nice long weekend full of... reading and hanging out. More later.

No comments:

Post a Comment