Thursday, January 18, 2007

Top Chef

So, last night I didn't watch everything (I DVR'd it, though, and will watch when I get a chance), but I did see the second half, which is where all the action was.

Really, I couldn't believe what I was watching. It almost seemed like a set-up. When I turned it on, I didn't realize that Ilan was filming when Elia shaved her head. I even said, "who's filming that?" Because then when he shaved his head, I figured she was the one holding the camera. I knew something bad was going to go down, and in Marcel's direction, but I never would've imagined it would've gone that far. Cliff was stupid but Ilan, Sam, and Elia (my precious Elia! Damn, girl!) fucked up too. Didn't look like any of them got the talking-to they deserved for just sitting there. I mean, what's up with that? Were they so wasted they couldn't help him? And then for Marcel to apologize to Cliff later - that was unbelievable.

OK, so here's a couple of comments I left on Harold Diterle (last season's winner)'s blog on Monday. I'm posting them here because, I don't know, I like what I said, and I'm glad I said it before I knew what was going to happen.

Irene wrote:

The judging on this show is just so unfair. Gail and Tom are completely unlikable. Their comments are never helpful, and come off as accusatory, every time. On Project Runway, when a designer fails, the judges never really seem to lose faith in that person as an artist. Here, it's a total hanging at the judges table. Needles to say, watching that is no fun. Only Ted Allen has any air of fairness and thoughtfulness, and he needs to be on more. And I'm not sure if it's true, but Padma's opinions seem to flow with what the rest of the group says. These chefs are mostly just being slammed. The thing with Marcel is ridiculous. I wish someone would stand up for him (Elia, what's up with that?). I'm not sure any of these people deserve to win. I love Elia, but the Marcel-baiting isn't proving that they (Sam, Cliff, Ilan) have the maturity to handle running a business, and watching them melt down into spite and petty childish acts only makes me like Marcel more. They may be talented chefs but this show is proving that they will crack under the pressure of real life, if they can't handle the unreality of this reality TV show.
posted on January 13, 2007 at 1:24 PM

Irene wrote:I just wanted to add one more thing. Harold called the guest judge's food "dog food," which I took to mean, food you serve TO dogs, not food made of dog. I understand that there could be some sensitivity there but perhaps a little closer reading of Harold's original comment would show that he was dissatisfied with the guy's product, not bashing him because of his nationality.

posted on January 13, 2007 at 1:46 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment