Wednesday, January 31, 2007

My Secret Name


Earlier this month, I saw my niece (she's 8, in the 3rd grade) at my brother-in-law's house. She was very excited because she'd been assigned to do a "diorama" on the Little House books (Patrick says they're not called dioramas, but isn't that what they are? it's when you make a 3D display of a scene from a book, usually placed in a shoebox. Right? I don't know, that's what we called them when I was little). The library didn't have the first one, Little House in the Big Woods) so she did Little House on the Prairie instead. She illustrated the scene Mr. Edwards describes of running into Santa Claus in town during a big snowstorm (remember? when he has to hike through all the snow to bring the girls their presents, which are shiny new metal cups of their very own?) with one of her old Barbie horses and some stuffed Santa. Anyway, I told her when she was ready, to give me a call and I'd bring her Little House in the Big Woods.

Over the weekend, she called and asked for it, and I dropped it off on Sunday. On Monday, we got a message from her. She's all, "Hi Aunt Irene, I just wanted to know if you had a secret name, what would it be? And I want to know if, can you be in a book club because I have no one to be in it with? Okay? So, bye."

Last night I called her back, and said hell yes I'll be in your book club (okay, well, I didn't say it quite like that). I asked her what her secret name was; I wasn't quite sure what she was getting at, and I'm not sure why we need secret names but I'll go for it. Now I have to think of one.

She said her mom told her that because I'm so busy, what we should do is each one of us read a book, then call the other once a month and tell each other about it. Anyway, I've been thinking about it, and for one thing, Stacey called it: I am busy. But reading a book and then telling my niece about it sounds like the funnest thing I've ever been asked to do. And then I get to hear her tell me about her book? I would almost pay money for that. So sweet.

I think she was surprised because when I was over their house, I was all up on my Little House trivia (I asked her, what kind of dog was Laura's dog, Jack?" She didn't know, but I did!). Maybe she wasn't expecting an adult (who, me?) to be so interested in something that interests her.

I can't wait. I think the thing to do is make sure I know what book she's reading, read it myself (or re-read it...) so I can ask intelligent questions. Our first telephonic meeting is this Saturday - we're going to choose a name for our club, and tell each other what books we're reading. Oh, and I have to come up with a secret name. I have a request of my one reader (hi, Julie!) - if you think of a good secret name for me, tell me. I need some help.

I can't wait for that phone call.

1 comment:

  1. I think that book club sounds fantastic. I can't wait to read all the books of my childhood again with C. Think of the fun with the Little House books, Nancy Drew, Judy Blume, Beverly Cleary. I'm all over it.

    Secret name suggestions - something flute. flutious, flutacious. Those are the first to come to mind. I'll keep thinking.

    ReplyDelete