Friday, April 25, 2008

City Garage

A recent email I sent to my friends.

...

Hello, friends!
As many of you know, I have been working off and on with City Garage Theatre in Santa Monica since 2001, when I was asked to participate in the show The Gertrude Stein Project. I ended up on stage playing flute and one of Patrick's big Paiste Rude cymbals in a corset and a pair of tuxedo pants. Those were definitely among the strangest and most fun performances I've ever done. In 2006 I was in the LA Times, LA Weekly, and Backstage West recommended show The Bacchae, where I again played flute as part of a band of women stranded on a beach somewhere in Charles Mee's imagination.

Since then, I have worked in the booth as the lighting and sound operator for the last five shows produced at City Garage, and while my part now is behind the scenes, the excitement of working with the talented cast and crew has not dissipated. I have learned so much and seen many beautiful and thought provoking performances on this stage.

I know over the years some of you have come to see me perform with the Culver City Flute Choir as well as the two shows I was in at City Garage, and I truly appreciate your support and friendship. There will definitely be more flute choir concerts in my future, and I hope to see you there soon. Now I would like to invite you to learn more about City Garage, a company that consistently earns good reviews and has recently been listed as LA Times Theatre Critic Charles McNulty's number two favorite theatre in Los Angeles.

Click here to learn more about the company. If you would like to sign up for City Garage's email newsletter, please click here. We are currently working on The Mission (Accomplished), an original City Garage adaptation of Heiner Muller's The Mission, and this show opens tonight in Santa Monica and will run through June 1st. If you're interested in The Mission (Accomplished), please call to make a reservation.

Thanks, and I hope to see you soon.

All the best,
Irene

The Mission (Accomplished)
Fridays, Saturdays: 8:00 p.m.
Sundays: 5:30 p.m.
Admission: $20; Students/Seniors: $10
Sundays: "Pay What You Can"
Box Office: (310) 319-9939

City Garage
1340-1/2 (alley) 4th Street
Santa Monica, CA

...

I didn't add this to the email, but I should have: if you come to see the show, please be sure to say hi! I'll be in the booth.

No comments:

Post a Comment