Thursday, April 17, 2008

Wednesday... and now, Thursday

Last night was my first tech rehearsal and run-through at City Garage. I got there late, around 8:15 because my good friend Paul was there taking the photos, so they didn't think they'd need me. I was kicking myself a little, because Charles was stuck in traffic, and they needed someone to set up the right amount of light for the photos, which is different light - obviously - than the light they use for the actual show. I had been wondering, on Saturday, if I should ask Charles which light is which. The board uses 24 lights, and while we're doing the cue-to-cue, he sits in the house and tells me which lights to turn on and off, and how hot he wants them. Then I record it, and we move on to the next scene where there's a change in staging. He can sit there and say, give me number 12 at 4 and number 17 at 3 and he knows exactly what part of the stage number 12 is going to light up and he usually has the levels right on the first try. Usually I'm in the booth too concerned about setting it up correctly to even look at the stage to know what I'm doing, so it's pretty amazing to me that he knows which light is which. But then, he's been doing this for years, and it's his stage - of course he knows. Anyway, I should've asked, because last night I was asked to bring more light to certain areas, and I had to do it through trial and error, which was embarrassing.

However, he made it to the theatre by the time we were ready to start the run-through, and didn't say anything about my botched lights, so I guess it was okay.

The run-through went really well. I almost felt as if it was an actual performance, and I was really comfortable. Not nervous at all, but excited. I was prepared for a long night, and it was but I have to say, I totally felt like I knew what I was doing and that there weren't any surprises. Sure, it wasn't perfect: first time through! But I'm getting it, and they seemed really happy with it. The actual show looks amazing. There are four new actors in the show - I've only really met two, the guys (John worked box office a lot for "The Bald Soprano," and I met David M. at the LA Weekly Awards). The other two are female, and I haven't had a chance to introduce myself yet. They're very good. The other girl in the show is Cynthia (the one who told me that when I'm in the booth it feels as if I'm part of the cast with them); she's been around City Garage much longer than I have, but had taken a break or moved or something so I've only known her for a little while. I'm really enjoying getting to see her perform: she looks beautiful (all the girls in this show are gorgeous) and she's just so damn nice. It's an intense show, and she brings something extra to it. I still don't know much about acting, but it sure seems good to me. And of course my friends Bo and David, and Troy and Max from the other shows I've done: they're looking and sounding terrific too. I already said this, but I'm very excited about this show, and so glad to be a part of it.

We finished up at 11:20, and I headed home. Unfortunately the idiots in charge of the freeway had closed off the 405 south ramp from the 10, so I had to take a huge detour, and I didn't get home until 12:15. Patrick was already in bed, asleep, but I couldn't sleep right away, though I was very tired. I had been listening to Radiohead in the car (15 Step, which is really a fucking awesome song), and I couldn't slow everything down to sleep for about an hour.

And now I should be getting ready for work. I can't be tired today - there's a flute choir concert tonight. We had our last rehearsal Monday, and it went really well, which is good, but of course I'm a little superstitious about good dress rehearsals. My little quartet sounded great, and I just want to be awake enough by 8 o'clock to play well tonight. So: better get in the shower.

I can't wait to sleep in tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment