Saturday, April 19, 2008

Saturday

I was thinking about it, and technically, yesterday wasn't my first day of vacation. Yesterday was just my regular day off: I get every other Friday off. And today is just a regular Saturday. I planned this vacation time quite well, I think.

So the good news is, I just finished cleaning my bathroom. If you were to drop by (and please give me about an hour; I need to take a shower and get dressed now) I would feel confident that you would find a pretty clean bathroom. The bad news is, my bathroom, which has had no upgrades or improvements in probably the last 50 years, still looks dirty.

Oh, well.

...

After all my lazing about yesterday, I did manage to get done many of the things on my list. I got a haircut (Supercuts. I have flitted about from fancy hairstylist to fancy hairstylist, and I realized that the best damn haircuts I ever got were from my friend Missy in her mom and dad's backyard. Missy was an excellent haircutter - now she's an excellent dental hygienist, but I'm saying that not based on experience - and I remember the care she took, from when she washed my hair in the kitchen sink to when she finished up in the backyard. She never cut too much, she never did anything I would freak out about unless I had specifically asked her. And she, during the brief time she worked as a hairstylist, worked at Supercuts. So I figured, well, a $15 haircut from a professional like her could be more than just a $15 haircut. What can go wrong?), and thankfully, it's just fine.

I also got a manicure and pedicure (no color on the hands. It's too distracting. Hands should look like hands. Toes, on the other hand - no pun intended - should look like beautiful pink pearls). It was a new place for me (right next to Supercuts, how convenient) because the last couple of places I've gone to have been shitty (the last place, a woman walked out saying, "My two-year old could've done a better job." That should've been my clue), and it was great. The girls were very sweet, and they did a good job.

I also got my eyebrows done, and they came out okay. Since my girl Lili retired (or whatever she's done) I've been going to her old boss, Carol. Carol calls herself an "eyebrow designer," and charges more than Lili, but she does a good job, too. She's nice.

After all that running around, I came home and undid all the good I had done by eating at Souplantation twice this week, and had McDonald's for lunch. Why do I do that? Why? Anyway, then I took a nap and got ready to go to the theater. My friend Bo picked me up, we hit the road, and we rehearsed. Fun show, good run-through (though I made some mistakes with the sound cues), I got to listen to "In Rainbows" while I waited for Bo and the other actors after they were finished to get their notes from the assistant director, and we got home earlier than we did on Wednesday.

Am still loving "In Rainbows," but I know I'd better watch out, because I don't want to get tired of it. No sign of that happening soon, but you never know.

Patrick has made home-made tamale pie for us today, and the house smells amazing.

...

Update: I forgot to mention. Bo liked the CD, with one exception: he can't stand Devo. I didn't know, but still, that's a great song. I think he should give it another chance. It was interesting, because on the drive up to Santa Monica, he chose to load his CD player with music he knew I would hate (Celtic woman crap, Italian woman crap, Uriah Heep for God's sake), while the music we listened to on the way home (my CD) was stuff I hoped he would like. He did, as I stated above. I figured he had heard the XTC and Squeeze songs, and had forgotten that I gave him that Travis CD a couple of years ago - he liked it.

Also, on the way to Santa Monica, for awhile there (through Culver City, actually) we were in a bit of traffic, and were near (in front of, behind, and next to) a very pretty, brand new green Land Rover. The Land Rover had about four beautiful girls in it - even the girl driving was stunning. They all had stick straight hair, perfect faces. And then up cruises me and Bo in his car (the red Ford Tempo with 200,000 miles on it, various body damage, various things that don't work, like, the seat belts; my door felt like it was slightly open but he swore it wasn't), and we're singing along with the radio and cracking each other up, and I said to him, "Wow, I wonder what those models in the Range Rover think of us." And Bo, not really caring, said, "Huh." And then I said, "Well, they may be prettier, but we're happier."

See what I mean about going to City Garage in a good mood? It's so easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment