Sunday, April 13, 2008

Relativity

My friend Julie posted on her blog the other day the sad news that her good friend has breast cancer. Julie, one of the coolest (and I mean, cool-headed and cool) people I know, is very close to this friend (her name is Marla), and Marla has started blogging about this experience.

I think this is amazing. Going through cancer with my mom last year (or was it the year before? See how things fade into the background? Maybe I shouldn't be so vague about it, maybe I should have that date tattooed on my forehead. But maybe letting it go a little is a good thing) was the hardest thing I've ever done (harder than the time she fell into a pool at the Getty, a story that I can't even tell without tearing up! Silly me). Sure I blogged about it some, but that was a hard time. Now, I was blessed with a perfect boss, a not-very-stressful job, and Patrick to help me through it all, and it wasn't really happening to me. If I had had to write about happening to me - well. You think I'm down sometimes now? I just can't imagine having the strength to talk about my own treatment. It's very brave of her, and I know I'm going to learn something about courage.

The really cool part is, my mom is now fine. And I have all the confidence in the world that Julie's friend Marla, in a year or two, will also be fine. I can't wait to keep reading about her.

And tomorrow I'm going to call my mom.

..

In other news, I've decided that I am going to forgo buying anything (clothes, shoes, songs on iTunes, books, etc.) for three months. At the end of the three months (July 13) I'm going to reward myself with an iPhone. We're going to do some research and see what issues there are syncing an iPhone with the Windows operating system (for the most part my iPod works fine but there are small, petty annoyances), but I am sick and tired of being jealous of everybody's iPhone. I'll be the last kid on the block with one, but I'll feel like I earned it. (The other bloggers I read all have one, dammit. One woman's husband works for Apple, etc. And I CAN'T STAND THE JEALOUSY ANYMORE.)

And this, my friends, is why I named this post what I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment