Sunday, May 27, 2007

Deadliest Catch

New favorite show - the Discovery Channel's "Deadliest Catch." I was home one day and caught this show, and (puns intended?) I was hooked instantly.

Those of you paying attention know that I like reading books about ships ("Mutiny on the Bounty," "Mutiny on the Globe" [OK, so I like books about mutinies, too], "Small Craft Advisory," etc.); this fascination is a bit ironic, as the only "ships" I've ever been on are the Catalina Express and the Jungle Cruise at Disneyland - "Watch out for that rhino!" hasn't prepared me for anything related to what you see on this show.

Anyway, I don't know how I've missed this show, I guess it's been on for three seasons already, but it was an instant addition to the shows we tape. It's just incredibly exciting and interesting, and in no way, shape or form does it induce me to ever want to go on a crab boat, but it does endear those brave, strong men to me, and it makes me appreciate the danger they endure just so we can all eat some crab. It's pretty amazing, actually. I mean, I had no idea what was involved in catching crab, and the way the show is narrated (by the wonderful Mike Rowe from the show "Dirty Jobs," a show I really wanted to like but just couldn't get into week after week), and filmed: it's beautiful, nerve-racking, and as exciting as anything I've seen on television.

No comments:

Post a Comment