Monday, May 14, 2007

Giving It a Rest

Even I find crazy a bit tiring.

(I'll just say: I'm listening to my "Klark Kent" station at Pandora, and they're playing a band called "Federation X." I think I heard some specially adapted kinetic klarinet; I think I'm in love!)

...

Busy weekend. Mothers Day was a 2-day holiday for us this year; we spent Saturday with my mother-in-law and my husband's family. It was very nice to all be together, especially with my niece and nephew. They're growing up so fast! We had lunch, and then went back to my mother-in-law's house for cake and ice cream. Patrick brought over the Wii, which the kids love, and we all played a few games. Fun, but tiring!

Sunday, we went to our godson's First Communion. We don't see him or his parents often enough, and then having to go to church, feeling that guilt: it was a hard morning! Because there were so many people in the church, the priest asked that everyone in the house go up for either a blessing or communion; he didn't want anyone staying behind in the pews, because I guess it makes it too hard for people to get in or out (it's a small church).

I haven't been up to the altar in a Catholic church for communion in about a hundred years. It was a bit traumatizing. Of course we had the option of being blessed, which I accepted, but it was weird.

I got to church with a willful attitude - I'm not one of you: I don't have to do what you do - these rules aren't for me! I can stand or sit when I want to, I don't have to kneel. Suckers!

I mean, I haven't been "Catholic" since I was nine, and I haven't really been to church without someone dragging me my whole life... I don't want to talk about God here. It's personal. I have my own ideas. And I know that when I say I felt weird getting blessed most people are going to jump to the conclusion that I am guilty or feel guilty for something. Maybe I am, maybe I do, and maybe I'm not, and maybe I don't.

Um, just: no more church for me for awhile, that's all [did I tell you my mother gave me her copy of "A Purpose Driven Life," or whatever it's called? It's been kicking around in the backseat of my car, unread, for about three months. Not sure what to do about yet. "Thanks but no thanks" doesn't work with my mom, and I don't want to hurt her].

Anyway, after that, we headed over to our friends' house for brunch and visiting, and then we had a bunch of errands to run before going to my mom and dad's house for her mom's day celebration.

It was a nice day, a good weekend, and I had a good time, but I feel like I was never home this weekend, and got nothing done. I had to get up early today so that I could get to work early to get ready for some training our department was doing. My boss was in charge of organizing it, but she was out of town at a conference last week, so working with her e-mailed instructions, my own common sense (luckily I had some this week: it may not seem like it from these posts, but I do have a brain) and with the three members of her staff presenting the material, we were able to get everything set up. We did it at the local Marriott, and they were super-nice, helpful (the AV guy who helped set up the projector and the screen was really great; his name was Tim! Thanks!), and well-organized. I was worried because I had 60 people sign up before I cut it off (and there was plenty whining about that, believe you me); but of course 10 people didn't show up, so that made it easier. I was really worried it would be crowded and hard for 60 people to absorb the material, but it went really well.

After that, I just felt wiped out. I had lunch at Kaiser - the cafeteria is just as good as it was at my old job (same company runs the two cafeterias), and as usual, my only complaint is: no wheat bun for my turkey burger. I just don't get it. I had a huge salad, and a diet coke.

Oh, that reminds me.

Everybody in my family is giving up sodas. My sister, my brother, my other brother's boyfriend: they're all cutting out soda. Diet and regular. It's a bit scary. I've been thinking about it, and have even made plans to not buy more "once we run out of it" but we've gone to Sam's Club twice since I thought that the first time, and both times we stocked up.

Diet Coke. It's a fucking drug.