Thursday, May 3, 2007

I'm Not Dumb But I Can't Understand...

Ten (More?) Weird Things About Me

Julie has spoken, and I must comply with her request... So here are ten more oddly uninteresting things. About me. What, is this my blog, or yours? If you think about it, pretty much every entry contains at least one weird thing about me, but anyway, here are some more.

I'm going to reverse-order this list... for no reason other than I feel like it. It doesn't really matter, as I'm going to be writing this down in the order they occur to me. Yes, much forethought is involved in these posts, haven't you figured that out yet?

10. Tonight on the way home from Flute Choir (there was a LOT of traffic), I taught myself most of the lyrics of the song "Lola," by the Kinks. Tomorrow I'll try to get past, "It's a mixed up, [something] up shook up world except for Lola..."

And so? The title of this post should be making sense right about now.

9. For someone who doesn't wear makeup, I sure spend a lot of money on facials and skin products. I have to admit, I love getting facials not so much for the science involved (and this month's allergic reaction doesn't make me feel like being adventurous again any time soon), but for the way it makes me feel: pampered, relaxed, and petted.

8. I often awaken in the morning with a song in my head... Usually the song is something really annoying. Sometimes it's the same song more than one day in a row. For the last two days, the song has been the theme to Patrick's favorite TV show: Saul of the Mole Men. I know just a few entries ago I posted that I "hated" this show, but in that magic way he has, Patrick has somehow managed to make me enjoy it. There's just something about that guy that makes me like what he likes. Don't tell him, though.

7. I once had a dream about kissing Kevin, from the "Kevin and Bean Show" on KROQ. Kevin is so not my type.

6. I call myself a "reader," but in the last few months, I haven't read one new book. This is a major deal, because normally, I'm almost always reading something, and while I usually accept my slacker label, this is really starting to bother me. I've been in bookstores, and I even have some books to read, but I've just been uninspired to read anything. It's scaring me, a little.

5. I love TV shows about bridges, dams, floodgates, pyramids, super-huge buildings or machines, oil rigs, machines that tunnel under the sea, how stuff is made, the Panama Canal, cruise ships (how they work and how they're fitted out, not "The Love Boat").

4. This week's episode of "Heroes" made me cry.

3. I have more hair on my arms than Patrick does.

2. My favorite ice cream flavor is "Double Chocolate Malted Crunch" from Thrifty. Yeah, they dropped the "Double" like 25 years ago, but I still use it. It reminds me of going for ice cream after school with SF and Joanna Lux, of being a kid again, before they remodeled the old Thrifty in Culver City, which is now Toys R Us) where you could wander for hours, browsing the cheap jewelry section and the aisle where they had all the weird over-the-counter medications and home remedies. This is from back in the days when kids under a certain age had to have a little ID card in order to go into Toys R Us without an adult, and SF had her brother's card, which I would borrow. His name could be short for Charlene. Or Charlotte. I think Joanna had her own card. Anyway, after getting our ice cream we'd browse Toys R Us, or go roller skating in the park. Damn. I really want to be nine again. Those were the days.

[I felt a little weird using Joanna's real last name... She moved away after the third grade, and I never saw her again. She was one of those kids who were oddly glamorous - at nine, she just seemed smarter, prettier, and more worldly than any of my other friends, and way more than me. I remember the silver-dollar pancakes her mother made us for breakfast the morning after I spent the night - OK, so maybe it's more my own, at age nine, reality of having never been anywhere yet, than her possessing some super-human level of worldliness, but still: she was cool. Wow, I haven't thought about Joanna in a hundred years... I just googled her, and found her name attached to some online magazine called "Ink Blot." I wonder if it's the same girl? I remember it this way: I got double chocolate malted crunch, I think SF would usually get mint & chip, and Joanna liked rainbow sherbet.

Wouldn't it be crazy if I were right about that?]

1. With a few exceptions (Bugs Bunny, OLD Disney), I hate cartoons.